Special thanks to the Jordan Spieth Family Foundation for choosing Nicklaus Children's Hospital to receive a 2019 grant to enhance the Children's Experience program for hematology/oncology patient families via a recreational specialist as well as supplies for patient recreational activities. The JSFF was honored to be a part of supporting Jack and Barbara Nicklaus’ longstanding dedication to pediatric healthcare space through Nicklaus Children’s Hospital, as pediatric cancer is one of the Foundation’s four mission pillars. Jack, Jordan and their families’ share an important passion of using their platform to help their communities.
The grant will be used to:
- Enrich the patient experience by providing dedicated resources to enhance the play space and teen lounge locations and programming through increased accessibility to technology and tutoring.
- Assist patients in understanding their procedure through medical play, and teaching and guiding them in learning coping skills.
- Support patient siblings who are having a difficult time understanding and coping.
- Promote normalization for patients through developmentally appropriate activities and play. Help improve body movement, speech and communication skills through expressive art, singing and active music-making.
- Offer teens and adolescents age-appropriate activities and social interaction, including an annual dedicated Prom.